Immediate and Early Implant Placement: decision criteria and techniques for achieving long term success
Speaker: Peter Randelzhofer DDS, specialist for Implantology
Originally broadcasted on: 21st July, 2014, 6:00 PM CEST (Berlin) Other time zonesThe choice of the right technique in the right case is a key criterion for long term success in implantation. During implant surgery the dentist has to make a lot of decisions which are based on scientific knowledge, as on his own experience and personal skills.
The size and quality of the tissue defect after extraction is one of the determining factors to choose one or the other approach. For early implant placement it is relevant to stay within a time window of two months after extraction with the implantation protocol, since two thirds of the bone resorption occurs within the first 3 months post extraction. Whereas the delayed approach so as socket preservation needs a longer healing time, which is due to the fact that augmented bone material needs time to stabilize itself for a delayed implant placement. An important role plays the use of augmentation material, which is both compensating the lack of hard tissue in the buccal region and protecting the autologous bone against premature resorption.
Our experience with all of those techniques in the last 15 years shows predictable aesthetic long term results, when the right patients are selected and treated with the individual fitting treatment plan.
- 1996 Dental school graduation at the LM University of Munich (Germany)
- 1996 Thesis at the University of Munich: Comparing conventional and computerized 3D dental implant planning. A histological evaluation.
- 1996-1997 Private practice for restorative dentistry
- 1997-2001 Assistant Professor at the department of prosthodontics, University of Freiburg. Postgraduate training in perio prosthetics and implant dentistry.
- 2001-2008 Private practice, limited to periodontics and implant dentistry,Academic Center of Oral Implantology, Amstelveen (NL)
- 2002 Implantologist within the NVOI
- 2009 Founding of the Implant competence Center - Munich with Dr. Cacaci (Germany)
- 2009 Educator status within the German Society of Implantology (DGI)
- Since 1999 frequent lecturing in all subjects of implantology and author from many publication in the field of implant dentistry.