New trends in the treatment of gingival recessions with mucoderm® and Emdogain
Speaker: Adrian Kasaj
Originally broadcasted on: 24th August, 2015, 6:00 PM CEST Other time zonesPeriodontal plastic surgery – Do we still need autologous transplants?
For many patients periodontal recessions are nowadays an aesthetical problem that could lead to hypersensitivity and root caries. Harvesting of autologous connective tissue from the palatine and its transplantation in connection with the advanced flap technique is still considered the gold standard for the surgical treatment of periodontal recessions. Disadvantages of connective tissue grafting are not only the need for a second surgical site associated with donor site morbidity due to tissue grafting from the palatine, but also the limited availability of donor material. Today, a possible alternative to the autologous connective tissue transplant is the use of an acellular dermal collagen matrix (mucoderm®) of porcine origin. In this talk, the application of mucoderm® and its possible combination with enamel matrix proteins (Emdogain®) in the treatment of gingival recession will be presented on the basis of clinical cases. Moreover, additional possible applications for mucoderm® as an alternative to autologous soft tissue grafts will be discussed.
- 1994-2000: School of Dental Medicine
- 2000-2001: Dentist in a private practice in Neustadt/Weinstrasse, Germany
- 2001-2009: Research associate at the Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology at the University of Mainz
- 2001: Doctorate (Dr.med.dent.) at the the Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology at the University of Mainz
- 2002-2005: Postgraduate Education in Periodontology at the Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology at the University of Mainz
- 2006: Specialist in Periodontology of the German Society of Periodontology (DGP/EFP)
- 2007: Specialist in Periodontology of the European Dental Association (EDA)
- 2009: „Habilitation“ (PhD equivalent)
- 2009: Docent (Associate Professor) degree at the Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology at the University of Mainz
- Author and co-author of more than 80 scientific publications within the field of periodontology; numerous national and international courses and lectures in the fields of regenerative periodontal therapy and plastic periodontal surgery.