Recession coverage “new regenerative materials”
Speaker: Adrian Kasaj
Originally broadcasted on: 26th May, 2014, 6:00 PM CEST (Berlin) Other time zonesGingival recession with the exposure of root surfaces is a common occurrence and requires treatment due to aesthetic concerns or root sensitivity
In recent years, a variety of surgical procedures have been proposed to obtain root coverage and increase the width of attached gingiva, including pedicle flaps such as coronally or laterally advanced flaps, free gingival grafts, and subepithelial connective tissue grafts. In terms of root coverage and gain in keratinized tissue, the connective tissue graft (CTG) is the most predictable procedure and considered as the gold standard for root coverage care. However, major shortcomings of harvesting CTGs are patient morbidity associated with the second surgical site, as well as the limited supply of donor tissue for the treatment of multiple recession defects. More recently, the use of 3D collagen matrices of porcine origin has been introduced as a soft-tissue graft substitute and possible alternative to CTG in periodontal plastic surgery.
- The various soft tissue grafting techniques and the expanding role of 3D collagen matrices in the treatment of single and multiple gingival recessions will be reviewed and discussed in this presentation.
- 1994-2000: School of Dental Medicine
- 2000-2001: Dentist in a private practice in Neustadt/Weinstrasse, Germany
- 2001-2009: Research associate at the Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology at the University of Mainz
- 2001: Doctorate (Dr.med.dent.) at the the Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology at the University of Mainz
- 2002-2005: Postgraduate Education in Periodontology at the Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology at the University of Mainz
- 2006: Specialist in Periodontology of the German Society of Periodontology (DGP/EFP)
- 2007: Specialist in Periodontology of the European Dental Association (EDA)
- 2009: „Habilitation“ (PhD equivalent)
- 2009: Docent (Associate Professor) degree at the Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology at the University of Mainz
- Author and co-author of more than 80 scientific publications within the field of periodontology; numerous national and international courses and lectures in the fields of regenerative periodontal therapy and plastic periodontal surgery.